Thursday, August 18, 2016

What Is Vintage To You?



I was reading some articles about styling vintage clothing the other day. There were so many rules. If you are a certain age don't wear this, or don't wear that. Don't look like you are in costume. The list was extensive. It struck me... why do there have to be so many rules? Why can't we just wear what makes us happy? It got me thinking about my own vintage journey.

I still remember the first vintage piece that I owned. It was a black velvet blazer circa the 70's that I found at the Dalton Providence Ministries Thrift Store. I was in 9th grade. Man, I thought that jacket was the most stylish thing ever. I wore it with everything. From dresses with combat boots to jeans and t-shirts. I think I may have even worn it with overalls. I felt so cool in that jacket. I think it smelled like moth balls, and looking back I am pretty sure the fit was pretty ill. It did't matter. That jacket made me feel like a million bucks. I think I paid 3 dollars for it. The point is wear what makes you happy.

Of course i became more sophisticated in what my vintage style was. A few years ago I was in the middle of a full on pinup phase. I was wearing circle skirted dresses with petticaots. Red matte lipstick and winged eyeliner was part of my everyday look. It was an amazing look, but I just couldn't keep up with it once I became a mom. The point is that your personal style is fluid. It evolves over time. While that pin up style was fun, it didn't suit the point in life that I am at now. I couldn't very well keep up with a newborn in a petticoat and heels ( on a side note: kudos to all of those 50's housewives that could). I still love that style, but I had to taylor it to my needs. Now I might pair a 50's cardigan with a pair of skinny jeans and flats. A mid century frame bag could also be a nice addition. My new mommy fashion mantra is fashionable and functional.


at the height of my pinup obsession :)

(Rockin' the mommy look now <3)

This blog will serve as a window into my own personal journey in vintage style. I have found what works best for me is a mix of vintage and contemporary clothing. I love mixing the two. I hope that I can entertain you with this blog, and maybe even serve up a little bit of inspiration in your personal style. I'm not here to tell you what you should or shouldn't wear. You should wear what makes you happy, and my opinion shouldn't factor into that.

xoxo,
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment