Friday, August 19, 2016

Lets Talk About Patterns

If you are anything like me, patterns can be intimidating. Mixing them even more so. As someone who tends to wear a lot of black, venturing into the world of pattern mixing was a daunting one. Every time I saw an outfit with pattern mixing it looked so cool, but I was always half afraid of looking like a clown if I tried it myself. Once I got over that fear and looked at some tips it wasn't half as hard as I thought it would be. I remember one of the best tips that stuck with me was "if it looks off, it probably is". So, if you pair a couple of different patterns and look in the mirror and cringe, it's probably a pretty good sign that those two patterns don't play so well together. Below are a few pairings that might give you some ideas of your own :)

Also, when experimenting with pattern mixing you can play it safe or be daring. For a more conservative look try pairing some leopard print flats with a striped shirt. Up the ante a little by adding a floral print scarf. If you are daring pair a floral print dress with a plaid coat. The sky is the limit really. It all just depends on your comfort level.

THE MONOCHROMATIC LOOK
This is one of the easiest looks to pull off. Just look for patterns that are the same color. For this pairing I chose a peachy beige hue. If you look you can even see the same green accent color in each piece. I also chose to go with a stripe and a paisley print. The more organic paisley print is complemented by the geometric stripe pattern. When you pick a pattern that is mostly one color it can function similarly to a solid.

PAISLEY PEACOCK SKIRT & STRIPED POLO


THE COMPLEMENTARY COLOR SCHEME
This type of pattern mixing operates on the notion that complementary colors pair well together. The examples I have chosen are a blue plaid and an orange paisley print. Also, these two patterns work together because they are a warm color and a cool color. Another color pairing that works well is purple and yellow. One exception to the complementary pairing rule is red and green. While these two are complementary, its best to avoid pairing them since you run the risk of looking like a Christmas Tree :)

PLAID SKIRT & PAISLEY BOHO DRESS


LARGE PLAYS WELL WITH SMALL
When pairing patterns it is a good idea to pair large patterns with small ones. This pairing works because the two patterns don't compete with one another. Your eye will naturally be drawn to the larger pattern, so the second pattern will serve as a complement. Below I have chosen a large floral pattern and a small geometric pattern. I also used patterns in the same color palette. Another pattern that plays well with florals are stripes.

SILK FLORAL PRINT DRESS & CONFETI DRESS


ANIMAL PRINT IS A NEUTRAL
While it might seem a little crazy, animal print pairs with a lot of different things. The key is picking an animal print in a neutral color. Animal print pairs especially well with florals, which is what I have included below. Another great pattern pairing with animal print is a stripe pattern. I especially like a black and white print paired with leopard print. For a more complex pairing try a pairing similar to the one below with a black and white stripe pattern.

BLACK FLORAL DRESS & LEOPARD PRINT DRESS

So there you have it! There are my musings on pattern mixing. How do you do pattern mixing? Let me know in the comments, and I would love to see some photos of your pairings as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment